posted 29 Mar 2017
Tickets & Information
0151 702 5324 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Become a member
For more information about how you can support the Bluecoat please visit the support us section
Bluecoat supports Glasshouse Residencies at The New Art Gallery Walsall
Bluecoat is delighted to support two new artist residencies, taking place at The New Art Gallery Walsall (TNAGW). Bluecoat will be working with Eastside Projects (ESP) and TNAGW to offer Glasshouse; two opportunities for artists to spend time in residence in the Artists’ Studio. Glasshouse will provide artists with resources to develop new work for public presentation within a mutually supportive group context, and supports artists and arts organisations to initiate and build long-term working relationships.
Residency I: 16 May–11 June
Residency II: 4 July – 22 August
Application Deadline: Sunday 5 March
In both cases artists will work towards a presentation to be viewed through the studio window space at TNAGW during the month following their residency. Each artist will receive a fee of £1000.
To accommodate different working schedules, the residencies will take place over different periods of time: the first will last four weeks and the second will last seven weeks, but we expect participants on both residencies to spend 15 days on site.
The Artist’s Studio connects to the rest of the building via a large glass window, which allows visitors to see practitioners at work, offering an interesting opportunity to work in public. Building on previous Group Occupation projects, residents will work individually but collaborate as a group on the final presentation.
3 artists - 1 ESP member, 1 Bluecoat affiliate, 1 Spike Associate, (Artists based in the Liverpool City region are eligible to apply as Bluecoat affiliates)
15 days between 16 May – 11 June
Studio Presentation 12 June – 1 July
£1000 artist fee and £200 for materials and travel
+ Accommodation in Birmingham for the Spike Associate and Bluecoat affiliated artists
Eligibility: Artists who are members of ESP, Spike Associates or affiliated with Bluecoat can apply - artists based in the Liverpool City region are eligible to apply as Bluecoat affiliates.
2 artists (2 ESP members)
15 days between 5 July – 22 August
Studio Presentation 23 August–10 September
£1000 artist fee and £300 for materials and travel
Eligibility: ESP members are eligible to apply.
• The two residency groups will meet in London in April. During this Away Day we will research examples of working within a window exhibition context (at PEER, Waterside Contemporary, Vitrine etc.) and meet fellow Glasshouse participants.
• Eastside Projects’ ESP programmer will visit each participant to provide critical conversation during the residency period and talk through work and ideas being generated in relation to the studio window space presentation.
• A member of Eastside Projects’ curatorial staff will visit each residency group and a member of staff from a partner organisation will also visit the Residency 1 group.
• Zoë Lippett, Exhibitions & Artists’ Projects Curator at TNAGW, and other members of the TNAGW team, will provide support to all resident artists.
• The Artists’ Studio is located on the first floor of TNAGW and is fully equipped with internet access, sink, fridge, kettle, radio/CD player/iPod dock, crockery and lockable storage cupboards. Residents also have access to office, workshop facilities and equipment, and reference materials housed within the Gallery’s Art Library. A digital SLR will be available for participants to use.
Click here for details on how to apply.
For more information about the partnership organisations visit:
Related posts you may like
Be the first to leave a comment below...