A distinctive feature of the courtyard façades is their cherub heads above the windows. There is a possibility that these are made from artificial stone. With some damaged in the wartime bombing of 1941, and others badly weathered, they were restored in the building's post-war reconstruction by Sandon sculptor, Herbert Tyson Smith. Some of them resemble carvings he did of his niece, Julia Carter Preston. Photo: McCoy Wynne.